Here are some photos of the table and a bit of detail how I put it together. Made from my head, built as I went by the seat of my pants.
First I fitted 4 boards together and temporarily strapped them. This has no biscuits in it, not even glue. The strapping on the bottom holds them together at both ends and in the center with screws and glue.
Next I flipped it upside down and measured out the dimensions for the skirting and then cut new dimension knotty pine to make a box. I cut the skirting around the center straps because I wanted maximum strength holding the 4 boards together.
Then I went looking for legs… What to use, what to use. I saw some nice maple logs in my firewood pile I had yet to block so I picked some and cut even length legs with my chain saw, yes they were that accurately cut with no further adjustments 😀
Once I had them in place I then decided how I would fasten them to get them strong enough. Carriage bolts was the answer and so far the table is quite sturdy. Funny though to use hardwood legs with a softwood table top… You use what you got right?!
Next I got to planing. I purchased a new 2 inch Jack plane for this and took off several layers of pine to get the table generally flat and remove the worst of the bumps – ran over a few old nails while I was at it.
Finally I used an orbital sander to take the edges off and further smooth it – though it's still quite distressed just from its original use,the top boards were the floor in our old house.
Then I finished it with my bees wax / olive oil finish which you can read about on my blog in another post.
It's dealt with many spills so far and kids banging and crashing and painting and colouring on it. Here's to many years of torture and further distressing!
This post has already been read 2230 times!